Who should attend?
This training is for Magento merchants and anyone involved in running a Magento store as well as those who may be in the process of setting a Magento store.
You should attend this course if you are responsible for the day to day running of your store or if you are involved in pushing the store forward as a key channel for your business.
Ideal for merchants, administrators and ecommerce managers.
What will you learn?
- Discover what Magento can do, learn to do it correctly and the short cuts to do it quickly
- Give you and your staff confidence to run your store the way you want to run it
- Learn ways you can get customers to buy more (and keep them coming back to your store)
- Find out how to add extensions to your Magento store to create the best customer experiences
Overview of the Magento Catalogue
- How the catalogue is put together
- The important terminology
- How to plan your catalogue and what to do before you put your first product in
- Safeguarding yourself so mistakes can be reversed
- How to plan your catalogue and make changes to your catalogue which will make life easier and save time in the long run.
- Creating and Managing Attributes and Attribute Sets
- The importance of attributes when creating a catalogue
- Knowing what the different types of attributes are and what to use them for
- Creating attribute sets and other tasks before you set up a product
- The use of specific attributes for configurable products
Creating and Managing Store Products
- The step by step process for creating a product for the first time
- Understanding all of the different product types and when to use them
- The trouble-shooters checklist that will save you time when resolving problems with products on your store
- Setting up each of the product types
- Understanding Magento’s inbuilt stock control system
- The importance of good naming conventions
- The categories options
- Understanding when to use root categories and when to use sub-categories
- Defining products within a category
- Using reusable content (static blocks) and images within the category
- Introduction to the areas of Magento for Sales and Customer Service staff
- Understanding the order process and each of the steps
- How the different ways to pay could affect an order
- The importance of good record keeping to solve future problems and queries
- How to quickly find orders or customers
Processing Online Orders
- The step by step guide to ordering
- How to process a paid order
- Shipping orders and delivery tracking codes
- Issuing credit notes for part or all of an order
- Making adjustments to orders
- Using Magento to Deal with Telephone/Offline orders
- Setting up a customer account
- Placing an order on an account
- Taking payments over the phone
- How to keep good notes on the order process
- Discounting orders on the fly
- Updating customer records
- Creating and amending address details (including multiple addresses)
- Reordering based on previous orders
- Using customer accounts to help generate up-sell opportunities
The Inbuilt Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System
- Keeping notes on each part of an order for future reference and problem solving
- How to keep your customers informed at any/all stages of the ordering process
- Using the CRM to keep your records in check
Using the Inbuilt Emails
- Customising standard emails for example the order email to match your business
- Opportunities to send out order sensitive promotions
Overview of where content can be managed
- Navigation of the backend of the system
- Difference between the content types
- Overview of reusable content
The Content Management System (CMS)
- Setting up content pages in your store
- Using the WYSIWYG editor to format your content and understanding the elements available
- Using the media centre to store your library of images that are outside of the catalogue.
- Methods to help find images in the future.
- Managing the pages including naming conventions
Managing Reusable Content with Static Blocks & Widgets
- What are static blocks?
- Creating a static block
- Using a static block in your content
- Using static blocks in product categories
- Introduction to widgets – what are they?
- Using widgets in pages of content
- Using widgets to create product/ category specific content
- Using widgets to put content information on any page of your site (including checkout process, registration success etc)
Using Variables and Customer Variables
- Reduce the risk of error and repetition with the use of variables
- Setting up and using the system variables
- Configuring custom variables and where to use them
- Using variables to create managable marketing messages
Overview of the Marketing Tools within Magento
- What you can do within the Magento system to promote your products
- Ways that Magento deals with seasonality
- Common mistakes to avoid when promoting products
- The value of sampling and split testing to ensure always improving results
Running and Managing your own Promotions
- Using special prices
- Cross-selling, up-selling and related products
- Time dependant offers
- What’s the difference between Shopping Cart Rules and Catalogue Rules?
- Where are shopping cart rules used?
- Setting up vouchers
- Setting up group specific offers
- Using the query builder to create sophisticated and targeted offers
- What are catalogue rules users?
- Setting up simple sales
- Setting up sophisticated sales
- Using catalogue rules to make your promotions easier to manage
Search Engine Optimisation for Magento
- Optimising products to be ‘Search Friendly’
- Identifying keywords and phrases that will generate sales
- How to ensure your website is not seen as ‘spam’ by the search engines
If you would prefer this information in a PDF, you can download our Magento for Merchants Training overview.