Set up in 2011 by Simon Beckerman in Milan but based in London, Depop is one of many shopping channels challenging regular shopping sites like eBay. It uses Paypal as a primary payment method giving buyers their security.
It is popular amongst young shoppers, typically under the 30s, and it has an Instagram feel where your friends can see what you have listed.
What type of products are available?
Fashion is its top category – jewellery, beauty, sports and some other categories.
How can I stand out from the crowd?
Like all algorithms, Depop shows results that best match the query. So, keep things simple as mentioned below:
- Upload high-quality photos from different angles. If there are any flaws, be sure to show them.
- Include full product description, including size.
- Use relevant tags such as material, colour and style.
- Ship your order quickly and use tracked method.
What does it cost to sell?
Higher selling costs on platforms prevent you from giving competitive prices to your shopper, and there may be hidden charges on other platforms, but with depop, fees are transparent.
- Listing an item for sale is always free.
- Commission – 10% fee on the total transaction amount (including shipping costs).
- PayPal transaction fee of 2.9% + £0.20
There are many success stories of teens making thousands of pounds from their DIY storerooms in their parent’s houses. So, if you are looking for another channel to sell your fashion, this is the right time to give it a go.