Amazon isn’t just a shopping platform, but a search engine also for product research, with 56% of shoppers starting their shopping journey on Amazon. This makes it important to ensure your product listings are well optimised on Amazon.
This is where Amazon SEO and listing optimisation helps.
Just simply uploading content isn’t going to get you far. Amazon is just like Google, content needs to be optimised. The Amazon SEO and listing optimisation process involves a step by step method to create highly engaging, keyword-focused content.
Check out the checklist below to ensure you have completed all steps to having fully optimised content:
Use this checklist to edit your content:
- Create content for the consumer rather than a search engine. Invest time on how the product would benefit the buyer and any USPs.
- Follow the strict Amazon Style Guidelines, if Amazon enforces these you want to ensure you won’t get penalised.
- Product titles: Include information about the product, USPs, whilst including SEO keywords – Stay within Amazon’s recommended limits.
- Bullet Points: stay within Amazon’s limits and include features that help customers make that purchase decision almost instantly.
- Product Description: elaborate more on the key product features, and make it more of a story, talk about the brand too. This is an additional opportunity for your keywords to rank. Use simple HTML code to separate paragraph, bold or bullet point. A free HTML tool will be handy here.
- More Detail Information: Fill in as much relevant information as possible – features, materials, audience. These are all indexed!
- Main Image: Images need to be 1000x1000px with a white background for the main image. The main image should be of the product only and no models, except for clothing. Use a free tool to remove the background.
- Additional images: Use the text on images to explain more about the product as on this example. This helps mobile customers make a purchase decision without scrolling through the content. Include lifestyle images.
- A+ pages / Enhanced Content: This is available for registered brands with a Seller Central or Vendor Central account. Text here is not currently indexed but has been found to improve conversion rate. Check out different A+ modules here.
- Keywords: 250 bytes are allowed here, use this space to add additional keywords which are not present in any other part of the content.
- For English 1 byte = 1 character but non-English characters (ä, ü, ö, é, etc) = 2 or more bytes. Amazon does not allow more than 250 bytes anyway so you’d automatically avoid adding more than the limits allowed. Check out this byte calculator tool.
- Avoid repetition: No need to repeat words, e.g. ‘table for dining room kitchen’ instead of ‘table for the dining room table for a kitchen’
- Include only singular or plural.
- Compound words are automatically indexed ie. flipchart vs flip chart; hi-waist vs hi waist